How to E-File 2014 Taxes in 2017

Posted by on December 14, 2016
Last modified:
The 2015 Tax Season to e-file 2014 taxes started on January 20, 2015. E-file your 2014 taxes today with RapidTax and receive your refund within 21 days!

There is a time and place for everything…including your 2014 tax return.

The 2015 tax season was that time and place. Although you’re a little late, you can still file your 2014 taxes. You just won’t be able to electronically file (e-file) it.

IRS e-file dates and deadlines

Each December, the IRS comes out with the e-file start dates and deadlines for that year’s upcoming tax season. For 2014 returns, those dates fell between January and October of 2015. The IRS promptly closes their e-filing system after that.

Can I still submit my 2014 taxes to the IRS?

Yes! You can and you should. You’ll need to sign and mail your tax return to the IRS instead of just submitting it online like you may be used to. The preparation process that you typically follow can remain the same. Not sure where to prepare your return? We can help you with that on RapidTax! It’s quick and easy; even for late tax returns. All you need to do is create an account with a unique username and password. Then begin entering your tax information into our user-friendly application. It’s even free to try with several pricing packages to fit your tax situation once you enter all of your information.

Can I still claim a 2014 tax refund?

That’s a yes! The IRS has a Statute of Limitations in place that allows taxpayers three years from the original due date to claim a refund. That means you can claim your 2014 IRS refund until April 2018.  Keep in mind that it will take a bit longer than usual to receive that refund in the mail since it is a prior year return now. It can take the IRS about 6 weeks to process an accurately completed late tax return.

What penalties am I facing for a 2014 tax due amount?

There are currently two penalties when it comes to late filing a tax return with the IRS.

  1. Failure-to-pay
  2. Failure-to-file

The failure-to-pay penalty accrues for paying your tax due past the deadline.  It is 0.5% per month of your unpaid taxes. This begins to accrue the day after your taxes are due to the IRS and applies for each month (or part of a month) that they remain unpaid. It will not add up to be more than 25% of your unpaid tax amount due.

The failure-to file penalty accrues for filing your tax return past the deadline. It is 5% of the unpaid taxes for each month (or part of a month) that your tax return is late. Based on the percentage, this penalty can add up to be ten times more than the failure-to-pay penalty. What’s this mean for you? If you’re not filing because you know you won’t be able to pay, think again. You should file now and face the smaller of the two penalty fees!

What’s the takeaway?

Here’s the thing. You should always file your tax return; late or not, refund or not. Taxes help you out with loan qualifications, rental agreements, and sometimes even your credit. If you’re behind, that’s okay. But why not takes small steps to get back on track?



Tags: , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted on at 12:02 pm and is filed under Late Taxes | Blog.

37 Responses to “How to E-File 2014 Taxes in 2017”

  1. Tammy lambert says:

    I am wondering when I can e-file to have my taxes direct deposited in my bank account

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Tammy,
      The IRS tax season officially starts on Jan. 31st. That means, the IRS will be accepting returns starting on 1/31. However, our website has the 2013 tax application already up. That means, you can fill out your tax return on our website, submit and when January 31st rolls around, we will have it submitted to the IRS.
      Saying that, if you do fill out and submit before the start of the tax season, you can probably expect your direct deposited refund by mid-February. Here is a link to an estimate tax refund cycle chart to see when you can expect your refund, based upon what day you file.
      Hope that helps. Happy filing!

  2. Bridgette says:

    Hi, I let someone from my job do my taxes , they did my taxes in 2011 everything was fine , I let them do them again for 2012, she told me when she filed them for 2012 it was rejected, I have 4 dependents which one was a newborn and we all were claimed , someone claimed me and my 4 children the only one who had access to my newborns social security number was the person who did my taxes , I’m still with the father and he lets me claim them, we found out from a rapid tax place my info was put thru on free tax usa to do a rapid refund to get the money back in 2 days , my return was offset becausevi owed money so this person was unable to get the money fast, when the bank finally received the money it was held by them because the social security number didnot match the bank account it was being deposited into, I know who did this, the irs now tells me I owe them somemoney how can I get a copy of the original tax return that was submitted first thru tax usa the one that the irs accepted first because I had to mail mine in on paper

  3. Brenda says:

    I tried filing my taxes on Tuesday but it was rejected the tax person said because the ssn of my number of my newborn probably hasn’t been updated with the IRS yet can someone tell me how long it takes for the irs to update there systems

  4. Helen says:

    I downloaded my forms from the IRS website and placed them on my USB in a PDF file. Can I email them to the IRS to file them?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Helen,
      No. You will need to prepare your taxes with a tax preparer, such as Once your tax return is prepared, you can elect to have your taxes e-filed (electronically filed) directly to the IRS or you can print, sign and mail them to the IRS.

  5. Jamie Reed says:

    I was just wondering what date can you start filing your taxes? I e file

  6. Skip Martin says:

    I tried to efile my taxes today but was unable because it said that the IRS have not yet released some form that’s related to my deductions. Will they soon and is that common? And then will I be able to efile?

  7. Amanda says:

    How long is it taking for taxes to come back this year I did mine 1/19/15

  8. beth riggle says:

    I was just told that the IRS isn’t accepting ” Rapid Refunds” this year for anyone who has less than credible credit. Is this true?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Beth,

      Because of the budget decrease this year, there have been rumors about delays in receiving refunds this year. They have, in fact, tightened the rules for rapid refund programs. However, there is nothing clearly stated by the IRS about these delays as of now.

  9. Ashley says:

    I filed January 20th 2015 and got my refund accepted the 21st?? And now it’s seen 7 days I no its a little early but the h&r block sent me a text saying they accepted my refund and it was completed? So will i get it earlier then 21 days ? I keep getting emails from irs about health stuff but no acknowledgment

  10. Saul says:

    I did my tax return on Jan. 21 afternoon and they accepted them at night, right now still says the same thing on the IRS web page, do you think that probably next wee I get my refunds on my bank? on Feb 4 that will be 2 weeks

  11. kassye says:

    Can i still file my 2013 taxes? (Yes im late lol)

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Kassye,

      Not to worry, you are not the only one! You can still file your 2013 tax return. If you are due a refund, then you can even still claim that money. If you have tax due, you may need to pay a penalty fee to the IRS however, it is better to file as soon as possible than not at all. You can create an account now and our customer service team can help you along the way.

  12. lisa says:

    I did my tax on January 19 this year. when will i get them in my back? I hope soon.

    • Tax Advisor says:

      Hi Lisa,

      The answer to your question will definitely depend on how you requested to receive your refund. If you chose direct deposit, please take a look at our 2016 Refund Cycle Chart HERE. Although the IRS will no longer provide estimate dates for when they will distribute refunds, prior year trends seem to remain consistent. Choosing direct deposit to receive your refund would land you in the week of February 5th, 2016. Keep in mind that this approximate date can change with any complications of your return with the IRS.

  13. Allie says:

    I’m wondering how to e-file my 2014 tax return?

  14. Nohemi Roman says:

    Can I file my taxes around December or u have to wait till next year.

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Hello Nohemi,

      Every prior year tax return must be paper filed, as the e-file deadline has passed. We advise you file your prior year returns, especially if you have a tax liability. Keep in mind, the IRS charges interest and penalties for each month your tax liability is unpaid. For tax refunds, the 2014 statute of limitations for your refund has passed and you cannot claim a refund. In other words, the only return that can be e-filed is your 2017 tax return which can be e-filed until October 18th, 2018.

      • 2014 filer says:

        What do you mean? You said “For tax refunds, the 2014 statute of limitations for your refund has passed and you cannot claim a refund” I mailed in my 2014 return this April and I’m getting back a refund. Not sure what you’re trying to say. I know their is statute of limitations of 3 years and April 17, 2018 was the last day to file and recieve a refund for 2014 tax returns.

  15. Alexis Jackson says:

    I e filed my 2017 taxes & I had a old w2 from 2015 that I added to that year as well. The irs ready accepted my return. Now what

    • Manisha Hansraj says:

      Hello Alexis,

      You will need to amend your tax return (Form 1040X) and exclude your W-2 from 2015. You will need to paper file your amended return. If you have not filed a 2015 return, you will need to paper file your prior year return with the correct W-2 form.

  16. Michael says:

    Hello, I’m wondering how long it will take to receive my 2015 income return. I did it on 2/21/18. You have an idea more or less when i should receive it? It’s direct deposit By the way. TIA!

  17. Kari says:

    I already filed my 2017 taxes but I forgot that I needed to still file my 2014 ones. Can I still file them even though I’ve already filed taxes this year?

  18. Diana says:

    If I file my 2015 taxes in 2018 will they charge me for failing to file? Can I even still claim that money?

Leave a Reply