Claiming Parents as Dependents If They Receive Social Security Benefits

Posted by on December 19, 2016
Last modified:
Claiming your parents as dependents is still possible if they are receiving social security benefits.

It’s been said that life comes full circle. Well, so do taxes.

It’s difficult to watch your parents grow old. The ones who supported you while growing up are now the ones you’re taking care of. You may be curious if you can claim your parents as dependents on your tax return like they once did for you.

The answer lies in the following five tests set up by the IRS:

#1. They must be related to you.

#2. They must be a citizen or resident of the United States, Canada, or Mexico.

#3. They must not be filing a joint tax return.

#4. They must have an annual gross income of less than $4,000.

#5. You must provide more than 50% of their financial support for the year.

With these qualifications in mind, let’s take a look at some special circumstances that might apply to you and your parents.

Can I claim my parent as a dependent if…

…they receive Social Security Retirement Benefits?

Yes. Your parent is receiving benefits for the time and effort they put in while on the workforce. This amount is not included in their gross income amount for the year. That means that Rule #4 above is still met even if their benefits come to more than $4,000 annually.

EXCEPTION: If your parent decides to go back to work after retiring, then that income could affect Rule #4 and Rule #5 above. Here’s how. If their income amount from the new job comes out to be more than $4,000 for the year, then you can not claim them as a dependent on your taxes. In turn, if they are providing more than 50% of their own support with the new job, then you cannot claim them as a dependent either.

…they receive Social Security Disability?

Yes. Millions of Americans each year enter into the Social Security Disability program because they are no longer able to work due to a medical condition. Disability is available to those whose condition is expected to last longer than 12 consecutive months (or already has). One can receive this benefit until they are either no longer disabled or have reached full retirement age. 

EXCEPTION: You can claim your parent as a dependent on your tax return without their benefit being affected. However, Social Security benefits can limit any wage income they receive while on disability (ie: from another job they are employed with).

…they receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

Yes. This is a program available to those who have a disability which makes them unable to work but don’t qualify for regular disability benefits. This also works a bit differently than the disability program mentioned above. While you can claim your parent on your return if they receive SSI, your 50% support may exceed their income requirement to qualify them for the SSI program in the first place. Why is that? It is a means-tested disability program.

…they have a job?

Maybe. This situation is becoming more and more common. Whether your parent is bored at home, needs the extra cash, or simply enjoys the workforce, they may have a new job. It’s important for them to realize that the income they are earning is taxable and now included in their gross income amount. When claiming your recently-employed parent as a dependent, you’ll need to keep in mind Rule #4 and #5 above. If their new job is earning them more than the $4,000 annual threshold, then you can no longer claim them as a dependent. If this also means that you are no longer providing 50% of their support, then claiming them is not an option for you. That being said, if you still pass the tests with flying colors, then enjoy your tax deduction!

Taxes can be confusing. So can Social Security benefits.

Combining the two can lead to hundreds of questions and one major headache. When the ultimate goal is to help out a parent who’s always cared for you, it’s tough to focus on money. However, if you fit the qualifications, then you’re entitled to a tax deduction. So let’s get down to filing that tax return. With RapidTax, our customer support team is ready to help you prepare those taxes; deduction or not.

Tags: , , , ,

This entry was posted on at 6:11 pm and is filed under Tax and Life Changes | Blog, Tax Deductions and Credits | Blog.

111 Responses to “Claiming Parents as Dependents If They Receive Social Security Benefits”

  1. Teresa says:

    My parents file joint. Both are on social security. Me and my daughter live with them. I work and help pay for groceries utilities rent and other misc things. I also split daycare expenses with my ex. Questions can we (my parents)both claim my daughter? I also have a son but my ex claims him in our agreement. My son also lives with me half the year as well. I read that the grandparents can claim them as hoh and I still can claim them as well. But I know they file joint. Not sure if they have to? Any advice.

  2. Kevin von Gersdorff says:

    I understand that the Social Security Benefits don’t count as income. My step-father also receives a retirement benefit from my deceased mom’s former employment. Can this be exempt also? Thanks.

  3. Ramona Janacone says:

    My father died November 26,2016 and lived alone,unmarried, and total social security disability of 9,100.00.. Can i claim him on my taxes. I am his daughter, only next of kin.

    • Hi Ramona,

      I am sorry for your great loss last year.

      Based on the information you have provided, it seems as though you would be able to claim your father on your taxes IF you meet the other qualifications listed in the article above. Social Security benefits do not typically count toward the consideration of gross income for the year.

  4. Cindy c says:

    My parents both moved in to my home a few years ago. They only collect social security, they have no other income. I provide all housing, utilities and food for them. They’re only expense is medicine and medical insurance costs. I provide more than 1/2 of their support. My question is, my father passed away on 1/21/16 so he really only resided with me for 21 days. Do I still claim him as a dependent on my 2016 taxes?

    • Hi Cindy,

      I am so sorry for your loss.

      As long as you met the requirements that the IRS has instated for claiming a qualifying relative, then you can claim your parent for the year on your tax return. This is true, regardless of the short 21-day time frame since there is no such thing as claiming a dependent for only a portion of the year.

      We have another blog article specifically relaying how you should file a taxpayer’s final tax return if you’d like to take a look HERE.

  5. Mackey says:

    I live with my mom and younger brother. My mom receives ssi, welfare (food stamp), and about 25$ of child support for my brother. I help pay for his clothe, uniform, hair cuts , he’s in private school so i also pay for his school. Can i claim him as a dependent? Or will that affect my mother?

  6. Theresa says:

    I receive survivors benefits (disability)., I live with my son. Can he claim me on his taxes?

    • Hi Theresa,

      Survivor benefits do not contribute to the annual gross income amount limitation. Therefore, if you meet all of the other qualifications (listed above) set forth by the IRS, then your son can claim you as a dependent, regardless of your benefit amount.

  7. Robin B says:

    Hi Michelle,

    I moved in with my Mom the end of April 2016 after she lost her job and wasn’t able, financially, to care for herself. I’ve paid all of the household expenses since then. Mom has received $1200/Mo SS, and also received a $5000 (before taxes) 401K payout.
    Does the 401K payout negate the possibility of my claiming her as a dependent?

    Thank you.

    • Hi Robin,

      The IRS has strict guidelines to follow when claiming a dependent. In order to claim a dependent relative, their annual gross income must be less than $4,000. While Social Security benefits do not count in that income amount, 401K and IRA distributions do.

  8. Anamika says:

    My parents just got PR card and coming in April to stay with us for 5 month then go back and come again next year…do they have to file tax evey year too..?

    Thank you.

  9. Lisa says:

    My daughter and granddaughter live with me in my home I am on SSD and get 1200.00 a month will she be able to claim me as a dependent on her taxes with the home mortgage in my name

    • In order to qualify as your daughter’s dependent she must have provided at least 50% of your financial support. Further if you have earned income more than the personal exemption for the tax year in question ($4050 for 2016), she will not be able to claim you as a dependent on her return.

  10. julian siganoff says:

    My mother gets a social security check and food stamps.She lives in goverment assisted housing which is based on her s.s..If i claim her will this effect her in any way.

    • There may be consequences to claiming your mother who is receiving government assistance as a dependent on your return. For her to qualify as your dependent, you must be able to show that you provided at least 50% financial support for your mother for the year. If her government assistance exceed your support, you may be penalized for claiming her as a dependent.

  11. julie says:

    My question is can my step brother claim me on his taxes as a dependent ? I was diagnosed with type 2 dietbeties and I’m receiving SSI he pays for my meals buy my cloths and pays my rent all I pay for if my out of pocket medication cost so can he claim me ?

    • Many families provide homes for relatives or provide financial support. You can claim your step brother who received SSI on your return once he meets the IRS tests to be your qualifying dependent.
      -He must be a citizen or resident of the United States, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
      -He did not file a joint income tax return with anyone else.
      -You must have provided more than half of his support.
      -His gross income must be less than $4050 for the entire year. (Generally that amount does not include Social Security benefits.)

    • Karen says:

      If you don’t live with him, you can’t be his dependent if you’re 24 or older at the end of the year. The only exception to claiming a dependency exemption for someone who doesn’t live with you is for taking the exemption for your parents.

  12. cress says:

    can an unmarried couple just living together file as married filing joint just under the assumption they live together and have a daughter? this is in California

    • The IRS only allows a couple to file a joint tax return if the state they reside in recognizes the relationship as a legal marriage. Unfortunately CA does not recognize common law marriages.

  13. Dragos says:

    Hi Michelle,

    I own a 2 Family and my parents live in the bottom unit, we live in the top. They are both retired so no income other than ss and I pay for cable, telephone, internet and water. I do not charge rent and also buy groceries and other items they need. I am doing taxes online and was wondering if/how i could file my taxes and if i should claim my parents as dependents on my returns (filing jointly with my wife) or let them file separately on their own? And if i include them, how/where do i enter it on the returns?

    thank you,

  14. Shelly says:

    My mom gets $5,000 reported on a 1099R can I still claim her? I paid more than 51% of her support but she doesn’t live with me. She gets Social security but she is not required to file taxes, as she is below the filing threshold

    • Your mother’s gross income is too high (more than $4050) for her to qualify as your dependent. Even though you support her, the IRS requires applies a Gross income test as well as a support test. The IRS provides you with an Interactive Assistant to determine who you can claim as a dependent on your return.

  15. Allen says:


    My mom receives a widow’s pension. I have claimed her on my taxes in the past. I had a tax preparer in previous years. Mom does not work. Is the widow’s pension considered gross income? If not. Where do I find the $ figure to enter on the tax form? Thanks.

    • According to the IRS, tax-exempt income includes certain social security benefits such as your parent’s widows pension. You cannot claim this on your return as it is her only source of income. If you are claiming your parent, ensure you are claiming her for the entire year and you must provide more than 50% of their financial support. Your mother may file her own return, indicating that she is being claimed as a dependent if she chooses to claim her pension.

  16. cynthia Tarbell says:

    My elderly father does not live with me but I provide more than half of his expences can I claim him on my taxes? He gets social security 12000 per year.

    • SSI income is not counted as gross income. If your father only received $12000 of SSI and you provided 50% or more of his support for 2016, you may be able to claim him as a dependent on your return. You can use the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant to determine if you can claim your father based on your tax situation.

  17. Leila de la Rosa says:

    Hi: my mom is on SSI and a part time caregiver for her. Am retired and also receiving social security benefits as well as my only son as my dependent since he is still in school. Can I claim my mother as well as my dependent for tax purposes. She’s also living with me and am filing as head of household. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

    • One of the IRS’s test to determine if you can claim your parent as your dependent on your return is “Your parent must not have gross income of $4,050 (in 2016) or more. Once your parent passes the IRS qualifying tests to be claimed on your return, her social security benefits will not affect you from claiming her since gross income does not include Social Security payments.

  18. Ammon Bationg says:

    My mom gets social security but she still pays her mortgage, can she file taxes still if so how?

    • Your parent is required to file an individual tax return if she is receiving over the $4,000 threshold of income. If her only source of income is her social security benefits, she is not required to file an individual income tax return since it is non-taxable.

      Keep in mind that if you are planning on claiming your parent, you must support her 50% financially, she cannot have income over $4,000 and you cannot claim her social security benefits.

  19. seth Mackoul says:

    My parents are receiving social security disability, I’m paying the mortgage so they can stay in the house. Because they live in my house and I pay the mortgage can I claim them as my dependents without them losing their social security disability?

    • Your parents social security disability benefits are not affected by a claim as a dependent on your tax return form. However if they are working, social security may limit the wages they earn from their payroll check that they receive while working with a disability with benefits. Rapidtax is a website you can use to file your tax return forms, and our customer service support is available to assist you through the process.

  20. Logan Munson says:

    I pay $500/mo P&I and Escrow for a House plus $500/mo for a vehicle that my father uses exclusively, so $1,000/month total. His ‘Pension’ is less than that, but combined with his SS, it is more than that, however, combined his income is less than $25,000, so his SS would not apply (?), so I pay more than 50% of his Non-SS income ($1,000 vs. $700). However, does his $700/month Pension income, which is $8400/year, exclude him as my dependent because it alone fails the Gross Income Test (?).

    Have I been Munsoned (?)

  21. Joan Green says:

    My father lives with me and earns less then the $4000 income limit from his pension a year. He also receives SS but I understand that SS is not part of the $4000 annual limit. My questions are if I claim him as a dependent after all these years, will the IRS audit me or him since he has not filed a tax return in years. Will this set off any red flags? Also, I live in CT. If I claim him as a dependent and he would need to go into a.nursing home in the future, would I be responsible for his medical expenses since I was claiming him as a dependent?

    • There will be no consequences for your father not filing prior returns if he only received social security benefits that were not taxable and he did not receive income from other sources. Further, you are not responsible for the debts of a dependent you claim on your tax return.

  22. T says:

    I am amending my taxes I added my mother who I take care of. For the taxes it asks if she had any income for 2016. She receives SSA income. Do i include this on my taxes? (also she didn’t file for 2016 since I am claiming and taking care of her.)

    • Hello Teyalanae,

      You can claim your mother if she meets all of the requirements to be a dependent. Her Social Security Benefit is considered her income. You do not show it on your tax return.

  23. Fox says:

    My parents have medicare/medicaid + SNAP/foodstamps from government. I own a 2nd house and I pay for their basic needs, property-tax, utility. They have no other income.

    Can I claim my parent as a dependent ? Do I need to report their foodstamp or medical help from government ?

    thx in advance

    • You can claim your parents as dependents once you meet the IRS requirements which are as follows:-
      You provided more than half of their support.
      They made less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. (Social Security income generally doesn’t count here.)
      They live with you (365 days in the year) or they are related to you.
      They aren’t a dependent on someone else’s taxes.
      They aren’t doing their taxes with a spouse (married filing jointly).
      They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
      According to the IRS, welfare benefits based on need are not taxable neither reportable on your tax return.

      • Patricia says:

        My husband only received SS
        We had to file taxes because of the subsidies we got last year for health care. We moved in with our daughter before the yr. was up. Can she claim us as defendants? Would her income then affect Medicare or VA benefits? Thanks

      • Sivan says:

        Hi – Following on to this as I have a similar situation… The question I am unable to get an answer to is, Will claiming my mother who earns 0 income, but is on food stamps and medicaid affect her food stamps or medicaid? I just want to make sure by claiming her, I do not have the gov reduce or take away her food stamps or medicaid. Thank you!

  24. Bridget McCuiston says:

    My question is: I receive social secrity disability benefits, medicare and medicaide no other taxable income due to health issues. My son moved in with me in February and pays more than 50% of my livng expenses rent, food, etc. Can my son claim me as a dependant on his taxes for 2017?

    • Yes, your son can claim you as a dependent provided that your annual gross income is less than $4000 and he provided more than 50% of your financial support for the tax year.

      • Teena says:

        I have the same situation but my dad received $9004 a year in Ssdi so would I still be able to claim him since ssdi doesn’t count as income? Non taxable? I also answer yes to the question above beside the question about dad getting more than $4000.

  25. Tammy says:

    If your mom lives with you and she is on social security. With no other income. Can you claim her as an exemption when she pays over half of her own expenses?

  26. Gail Harvey says:

    I recieve a total of SSDI $8760 annually and half of my ex-husbands retired pension (was a police officer) total of 30,000 annually. I may have to live with my son and daughter in law due to poor health conditions, my first question is can they claim be as an a dependent? I don’t want to loose any of my benefits because of this. My other question is my daughter in law also receives SSDI,with my 2 small grandchildren… can two people live in the same household without losing benefits?
    Thank you!

  27. Hai says:

    Hello, my parent live with me. My mom is working but my dad is disable and receive SSDI (disability benefit) only around 7000 after the insurance. My dad is file as married jointly with my mom, but can I claim my dad as a dependent? I read the rules that he meet the requirement except that file jointly status with my mom. Or does it mean that file as married jointly status mean automatically disqualified for claiming as dependent which mean my mom have to file as single status in order for my dad to be claim as dependent?
    I don’t know how it would benefit us as which status to file and claim dependent.
    Thanks for the help, it seem easier to file but understand it is hard.

    • Tax Advisor says:

      According to the IRS Publication 501 Page 12 of the PDF, you will not be able to claim a married person as a dependent who files a joint return if they have a tax liability. It is only when they are receiving a refund that excludes them as a dependent exemption on the joint return that you will qualify to report them on your return as a dependent.

      When you claim an individual as a dependent on your return, this allows you to claim further credits that will help reduce your taxes. In your situation, this may be dependent care credits.

  28. Ay says:

    Mom gets state assistant medical and food stamp, In addition she gets sis. Can I claim her as dependent?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      The IRS provides a questionnaire for you to go through so that you can determine whether an individual is qualified to be claimed as your dependent.

      As long as your parent meets all of the qualification outlined in the five tests, you will be able to claim them as your dependent.

  29. Cyn says:

    Hi I live with my mom And i make more than her she has pension $8000 a year and ssi which I’m sure don’t count as gross income. The lease is under her name but she gets food stamps like $190 and housing assistance for rent for like $100 a month can I still list her as a dependent ? Will her assistance get cut off ?

    • Tax Advisor says:

      You can use the IRS provided tool for further assistance on this matter. If you provided more than half of the financial support for your mother to keep her home, she will qualify as your dependent. You must also ensure that her income does not exceed the personal exemption amount of the specific tax year as well.

  30. Debbie Bjelland says:

    My mom is a widow and lives with me. I pay all of the household expenses and buy most of the food. My mom receives money monthly from social security and from some investments. She has been told by her accountant that she no longer needs to file taxes.

    Can I list her as a dependent?

    • If your mother isn’t making over the personal exemption amount for the specific tax year, you will be able to claim her on your tax return. This exemption amount can be found in line 42 on Form 1040.

  31. Donna niebling says:

    Hi..I live with my daughter, I’m 63 and collect 18000 per year in survivor other daughter works and earns a little less than what I bring in monthly, but she pays rent and I watch my granddaughter…can she claim me? Also, can I go on her health insurance if she claims me as a dependent??

    • Hello Donna,
      Your daughter can claim you if you meet the requirements. If she takes care of more than 50% of you financially while living with you, she can claim you as a dependent on her tax return. Every situation differs. As per health insurance, you may contact her health insurance company for more details.

  32. McDermott Thomas says:

    I am a Veteran , I am claiming my mother as a dependent. I get an additional $130, Her Social Security check was reduced by that amount. Now her nursing home bill is going up. How is my allowance counted as her income.

  33. Cori says:

    Hello. My mother is 43 with 3 minor children. She left bed with me in my household and I support her and the three kids. No one else will claim the kids. She receives social security, disability and I receive $ as a in home service provider from the state. She also received food stamps. Those are the only incomes. Can I claim her and the minors? What do I need to check and be sure of? What are my options?

    • Hello Cori,
      You can claim your parent if she receives Social Security Benefits, Disability, assistance from Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Programs or income received in cash payments. You must have provided more than 50% for her and her children financially and they must have live with you more than half the year.

      • Cori says:

        How do I prove I provided that? Especially for things like an audit? What paperwork and proofs do I need to have available?

  34. ERIN says:

    My father is disabled, and received disability benefits, mother stays at home to care for him, and my sister who is also disabled, but has a part time job, making more that 4,000 a year, and she also has disability benefits. My mother occasionally babysits not receiving over 4,000 a year for her time because she is often caring for my father and sister. I provide over 50% of the expenses and I only claim my father. Am I able to claim my mother too?

    • You should be able to claim both parents, as long as neither your father or mother makes over the personal exemption amount for that year. You can also utilize the IRS tool provided to determine the qualification with more clarity.

  35. Mica Kay says:

    My father’s only source of income is disability therefore I help support him and I am also his in home supportive services provider. I actually work for in home supportive services (my second source of income) by taking care of him but we do not live in the same home. I am not married so should I file single or head of household even though we do not live in the same home?
    Also, do I qualify for the dependent care credit?

    • Hello Mica,
      If you are filing head of household, you must be the sole provider for your home and have a qualifying dependent. If you are claiming your parents, your dependent parent does not have to live with you. You must have paid more than half the cost of providing for a home all year which you lived in and provided for more than half of the expenses for your qualifying dependent(s). However, in order to claim the Dependent Care Credit, the dependent must have lived with you for more than half the year. If your parent is physically or mentally unable to care for himself, he or she is a qualifying individual. If you paid someone to care for your child, spouse, or dependent, you may be able to claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit on your federal income tax return.

  36. Marie says:

    My mother-in-law lives with us and she’s receiving SS benefits, and she doesn’t work. We paid for all expenses in the house. Can we claim her as dependent on our income tax?

    • Please utilize the tool provided by the IRS for further information on claiming your parent as your dependent. Generally, if they are not earning over the personal exemption amount, and you are providing more than 50% of their financial support for the year, after meeting these qualifications, you are able to claim your parent as a dependent.

  37. mary says:

    my mother is disabled and doesnt work and meets all other criteria for me to claim her for last year. my question is… what do I need to do or show that I have provided 50% of financial care. I paid all bills and mortgage and food but how do I show that if I am efiling my taxes online?

    • IF she is not filing a tax return or is not being claimed by another taxpayer, you won’t have to send in supporting documents to claim her as your dependent. If the IRS does request additional documentation, you will need to follow along with the instruction given to you through their correspondence.

  38. Zach says:

    Hi, my mother just turned 63 the 10th of this year. The house we live in is in her name, i pay her cash for almost all the bills. She is disabled, has no job, and draws social security, also doesn’t file a refund. Will this affect her at all if i claim her as a dependent? I don’t want ger SS or health insurance to be affected. Thanks, Zach

  39. Teka Redd says:

    My grandmother receives SSI, SEC8 and SNAP(food stamps). She qualifies under questions 1-5 above. I help pay for medications, I drive her to all her dr appts and errands. If Im working I give her cab fare. I do help her pay for food at times or miscellaneous items such as toiletries, clothing, and pet care expenses (vet and food). I have one child and I make under 20k a yr. Can I claim her? No one in our family supports or plans to claim her.

  40. Cristina Guzman says:

    my parents do not file taxes and do not work but they recieve ssi for my fathers dialysis I live with them and my 15 year old brother and my child can I claim all of them? Meaning my parents, brother and daughter?

  41. Terry L Iagulli says:

    can i claim my mom on my tax she only get ss no other income

  42. Priscilla Jeffries says:

    I myself received SSDI and work a part-time job. I live with my mother who receive Social Security and is 77 year old. I help maintain the household, because she can’t live alone anymore. Can I claim her in my income taxes?

  43. John says:

    My mother is disabled and doesn’t work and my father works a little but doesn’t have over 4,000 of AGI. They both live with me and I support them fully. My father has typically filed a joint return with his wife in the past but it has always yielded a tax refund. If my father files a joint return this year, and has a tax refund, would I be able to claim them? If not, then should my father file a married filing separately return for me to be able to claim them both? Thank you.

  44. Claudia says:

    My mom and Dad have always filed joint taxes in the past but since they stopped working and are on SSI they haven’t filed taxes in a couple of years however this year I wanted to see if I can add my mom as a dependent she meets all the criteria mentioned above but I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t cause any problems when my dad files his taxes it seems he may have made more that $4000 this year on part time jobs this past year, can he file alone if he decides to file taxes? Not sure what’s the best route I feel like I should have claimed my mom all those years they didn’t file taxes.

  45. THOMAS says:

    My parents have lived at my house this year. My father receives SS benefits because he lost 100% of his hearing in his 50s. My mother has predominately been a house wife , so she never made a substantial income. Can I claim them since i am providing housing?

  46. Lane Putman says:

    I live with my dad and brother. My dad is on disability and receives a check for himself and my brother each month. I help pay the bills and buy groceries and the like. Can I file them both as dependants since my dad does not file taxes? If so will doing so affect the check he gets for my brother or his?

  47. Mirna Bonilla says:

    My mother just move to live with us about 6 months ago. Her only income SS but she does get medicare and medicare. I cover all her expenses but her medications. Can i clam her as a dependent on my tax returns ?

  48. Mari says:

    Hello, my question mother lives with me and she gets social security. She retired when she was 68 and she is now 78 years old. I pay for all the expenses in the home. I also have custody of my gradson which she watch for me when he gets home from school, that is about 4 hours a day give or take. I do pay her so she can have extra money to do things. Can I claim her as a dependent and also put she is my child care provide, since I pay her to care for my gradson until I get home? Thank you in advance.

  49. Nancy says:

    Can I claim my brother who received a court order for Social Security Disability Income as my dependent in my taxes if I provide food and shelter for him. Also can I claim him as Disabled based on that order from the social security judge and not a doctor?

  50. Nylnn says:

    My dad just got approved for SSI in Oct 2017. My mom’s name is also in the application cos they’re married but she didn’t receive the benefit. Can I claim them as dependents? I paid almost half of the bills and stuffs, do I need to prove that as well?
    Thank you!

  51. Eric says:

    My father is a vetrian, he recieves a retirement pention of about 6000 a year plus ssi can i claim him as a dependent

  52. mdrami58 says:

    Can my husband and I claim my parents as dependents in our income tax return without affecting their ssi disability checks even if we make over 100,000 dollars in gross income.

  53. Charina says:

    My mother lives with my husband and I and we provide more thank 75% of her support. My husband and I file jointly. Can I still claim my mother on our taxes? My mother claims my disabled brother on her taxes and he receives SSI. Will this affect wether I can claim my mother?

  54. Tim B. says:

    My mother lives with me and is on SS. She is not disabled, she does not have an earned income. I cover more than half her living expenses (housing, utilities, and most food). However, she does have medicare and supplemental insurance which she pays out of her SS check. Her medical bills are always paid in full by those two policies, and she uses her money for lunches with friends, hair appointments, and other such entertainment. Are hair appointments and entertainment considered living expenses? And if Medicare pays her medical bills, is that an issue? And what about the Blue Cross supplemental insurance she buys? I know SS doesn’t count, but she does have a pretty good amount for having fun in her last years, which is the whole point of not paying housing/utilities, etc. So, what’s the option here, yeah or nay?


    My mother is on SSI. Has been for years. My question is this… The job that she worked over 5 years ago sent her a check that she was owed for $125.18 and she has gotten the W-2 form for it and she also has a 1099-R. Can she still be claimed on my taxes? She does live with me and I support her. Also, if it is possible that I can claim her, under what particular form do I need to file her W-2? Does it go with my income and wages or does it need to be filed separately, along with the Retirement form?

  56. David says:

    I claimed my elderly Mother on my taxes last year (2016) but have a question for this year. Her only income is SS, but this year (2017) she won a contest and received a 1099 misc.for $3500.00. Will she have to file taxes on her own or can I still claim her on mine? Also, if I can still claim her as a dependent will the $3500.00 be reported on my return.

  57. karen says:

    Can I claim my father on my income tax. he is retired. He receives social security and monthly 401k distribution. He does not file taxes. Please let me know. Thanks.

  58. Brandy says:

    Hi, I have lived with my mother and step-father for the past year. They both receive SSI of $349.00 each month (total: $698) my step-father also receives SSA of $493 per month. Neither one is filing a claim. I’m paying for much of their necessities. Would I be able to claim them on my taxes?

  59. Roche says:

    My parents are living with me and they are receiving SSI and SSa? (Retirement). They are not working can I file them as dependents?

  60. Teresa says:

    Hello, I live with my mom but I help her pay for the household expenses. She receives SSI, Section 8 to pay part of her rent, food stamp and occasionally baby sits our neighbor daughter and receives no more than $4000. a year . Can I still claim her as my dependent? Please advise.

  61. Mike Oldem says:

    my mother moved in with my wife and I in 2015 after her 2nd husband passed. She receives social security and a small pension from her deceased husband’s rail road pension. How much money is she allowed to make from dividends, interest and the pension without having to file taxes?

    Does the railroad pension figure in as wages toward the $4050 amount toward income if I was to claim her as a dependent?

  62. Israel V says:

    Hi my parents earn only $17,868.00 annually from ss income. They do not file taxes and receive no other benefits. I provide assistance with rent, food and car insurance in Florida. Can I claim them?

  63. gorge says:

    My brother and I are retired, I am 69 and he is 66 of age. The only money he received is his social security check. He received 7000 in social benefit all year . Can I claim him as a dependent. I provided more than half of the household expense and he lived with me the whole year.

  64. Beverly says:

    I live with my son I am drawing survivor benefits a month. I was wondering if he could claim me on his taxes as a dependent. Also have a question for someone else. If you have no health insurance and someone claims you as dependent what happens then.

  65. Ida says:

    I am retired receiving gross of $1222 net a month and from work from another company of $163 and $218 . My husband makes gross on $720 a month minus $296 for our daughter student loan. We own a house that we pay mortgage of 2568.36 interest and principal. We don’t file income tax anymore. We are both disabled . Can my son who lives with us claim us on his income tax? He help with our mortgage monthly , Thank , Ida

  66. Melissa says:

    My mother meets the requirements for me to claim her on my taxes. She gets roughly $800 a month for social security. She hasn’t reported to Social Security that I am supporting her at least 50%. If I claim her, will she need to report my support and will Social Security then reduce her monthly Check?

    Thanks so much!

  67. Tot says:

    My dad (who get SSI) lived with me and he passed away last year. Can i claim the funeral expense that I paid in my tax ? I never claim him as dependent before. Thanks,

  68. SCOTT says:

    I pay more than 50% of my mother’s expenses; her only income is social security. Do I have to report her social security income on my 1040? I just got a letter from IRS saying so.

Leave a Reply