Tag: 2014 tax return

Posts Tagged ‘2014 tax return’

How to E-File 2014 Taxes in 2017

Posted by Robert Flanagan on December 14, 2016
Last modified: December 19, 2016

There is a time and place for everything…including your 2014 tax return.

The 2015 tax season was that time and place. Although you’re a little late, you can still file your 2014 taxes. You just won’t be able to electronically file (e-file) it.

IRS e-file dates and deadlines

Each December, the IRS comes out with the e-file start dates and deadlines for that year’s upcoming tax season. For 2014 returns, those dates fell between January and October of 2015. The IRS promptly closes their e-filing system after that.

Can I still submit my 2014 taxes to the IRS?

Yes! You can and you should. You’ll need to sign and mail your tax return to the IRS instead of just submitting it online like you may be used to. The preparation process that you typically follow can remain the same. Not sure where to prepare your return? We can help you with that on RapidTax! It’s quick and easy; even for late tax returns. All you need to do is create an account with a unique username and password. Then begin entering your tax information into our user-friendly application. It’s even free to try with several pricing packages to fit your tax situation once you enter all of your information.

Can I still claim a 2014 tax refund?

That’s a yes! The IRS has a Statute of Limitations in place that allows taxpayers three years from the original due date to claim a refund. That means you can claim your 2014 IRS refund until April 2018.  Keep in mind that it will take a bit longer than usual to receive that refund in the mail since it is a prior year return now. It can take the IRS about 6 weeks to process an accurately completed late tax return.

What penalties am I facing for a 2014 tax due amount?

There are currently two penalties when it comes to late filing a tax return with the IRS. (more…)

Earned Income Tax Credit Tips for Married Filers

Posted by Robert Flanagan on March 27, 2015
Last modified: October 6, 2016

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby… and the Earned Income Tax Credit?

Here’s one for the next round of Jeopardy: the Earned Income Tax Credit or EITC was designed to offset the burden of Social Security taxes paid by low to middle income working families.

And here’s one you can take to bank: if you find yourself struggling to provide for your family you may qualify for the EITC and increase your refund at tax time .

Whether you qualify, not to mention the amount of the credit you’ll receive, depends on your income and how many qualifying children you’re supporting.

Eligibility is based on your income and your filing status

First, in order to qualify, you must file your tax return as married filing jointly. Your filing status can not be filing separately.

Second, your income earned (that is, the wages you received from your job or the net profits you made from self employment), can not exceed a certain threshold.

If you’re married filing jointly, your 2014 adjusted gross income, must be less than:

  • $52,427: 3 or more qualifying children
  • $49,186: 2 qualifying children
  • $43,941: 1 qualifying child
  • $20,020: no qualifying children (more…)

Earned Income Tax Credit Tips for Single & Head of Household Filers

Posted by Robert Flanagan on March 26, 2015
Last modified: October 6, 2016

The Earned Income Tax Credit can add a total of up to $6,044 to your tax refund!

Being a single parent is no picnic. Parenthood is a tough gig, especially when you’re on your own.

Raising a family on one source of income is enough of a headache. On top of that, you have dinner to cook, homework to help with, and sports games to attend. It’s clear, you have a lot on your plate and could use more money in your pocket.

Here’s something you must know: to lessen the financial burden of being a single parent, the IRS offers the Earned Income Tax Credit to qualifying tax filers.

Why Your Income Matters

The EITC or EIC is a refundable tax credit that is only offered to taxpayers who earn low-to-moderate income from their job or from being self-employed. That means if you don’t work, you cannot claim the credit.

In addition, once your income goes over a certain threshold, you won’t qualify to receive the tax credit. (more…)

Tax Deductions for Landlords (Part 3)

Posted by Robert Flanagan on March 25, 2015
Last modified: October 6, 2016

Landlords can also deduct rental property depreciation…

In part 1 and part 2 of this article, we explained that the services and expenses that you paid for could be included as deductions on your tax return.

In addition to these expenses, you can deduct the depreciation of your rental property.

In other words, you can deduct the “wear and tear” costs of the rental property, including any improvements.

Confused? No worries! Keep reading and we’ll get to the bottom of what depreciation means, and explain what types of improvements you can include on your tax return.

What Does “Depreciation” Mean?

For tax purposes, you can deduct the cost of your property along with any improvements you made to it, in the form of depreciation.

Think of depreciation as a way to recover the costs associated with your rental property.

You won’t deduct the cost of buying or improving your rental property as one large tax deduction. Instead, you’ll spread the costs across the “life” of the property.

The amount you can depreciate is dependent on a variety of factors, such as how long the property (or improvement) will last and what it is. To learn more, visit IRS Publication 527, Residential Rental Property. 

What Qualifies?

Owning a piece of property does not automatically qualify you to deduct it’s depreciation value. To deduct the depreciation of a rental property, the IRS requires that you also meet the following criteria:

  • The property produces income (in other words, you rent it out).
  • The property has a “useful life”, meaning it will eventually wear out, get used up, etc. (For example, a house has a useful life while an unused piece of land you own does not.)
  • The useful life of the property is longer than one year. (more…)

RapidTax Prices Change for the Better!

Posted by Robert Flanagan on March 18, 2015
Last modified: April 21, 2015

We’ve lowered our prices!

Signed up but haven’t filed your 2014 tax return yet? You’ll be happy to hear that we’ve lowered our prices! 

And you still get expert tax help by phone or chat!

Retirees Now File Free!

Are you retired, aged 59 1/2 – that means you were born on or before September 16, 1955 – and received income from a retirement plan or social security? Your federal tax return is now free with RapidTax!

Not a retiree? Visit our pricing page to see who else qualifies for a free return.

File a State Return for $9.95!

The cost to file a state tax return with your federal return is now $9.95. That’s a savings of 50%!

Claiming Dependents? Deluxe drops to $24.95!

If you’re claiming a dependent(s) on your federal tax return, you’ll need our Deluxe Package. The great news is that the Deluxe Package price has decreased to $24.95!

You will also need the Deluxe Package if you’re reporting any of the following items:

  • any above the line deductions
  • alimony income
  • early distributions from retirement plans
  • Premium Tax Credit

Reporting Business Income? E-File for $34.95!

If you earned business or self-employment income in 2014, you’ll also save this tax season! Premier Package customers can now file a federal return for $34.95.

Premier include those reporting any of the following items, along with unlimited professional tax advice:

  • business or self-employment income
  • rental  income
  • royalties
  • capital gains or losses


What You Need to Know About Claiming Your Dependent Relative

Posted by Robert Flanagan on February 26, 2015
Last modified: October 6, 2016

Taking care of an aging parent or relative can be hard, not to mention expensive. The good news is that you may be able to claim them on your tax return and get a bigger refund.

Supporting a relative can impact many areas of your life.  The most obvious are the changes to your living situation, amount of free time you have, and your finances.

To help relieve the financial strain of caring for a relative, you can report these relatives as dependents on your tax return. Doing so can save you thousands of dollars in taxes, because for every qualified dependent you claim your taxable income is reduced by $3,950.

Your dependent will belong to either one of the two following categories:

  • qualifying child 
  • qualifying relative

To learn more about claiming a qualifying child, refer to this RapidTax post.

Who Can I Claim as a Qualifying Relative Dependent?

The term “relative” may be unclear. For example, is your cousin’s wife considered your relative? How about his ex-wife? (more…)

The 2014 Tax Tables

Posted by Robert Flanagan on February 24, 2015
Last modified: October 6, 2016

Find your 2014 Tax Rate with the 2014 Tax Tables!

Have you filed your 2014 Tax Return yet?

If you’ve already filed, congratulations! If not, you may be wondering what the 2014 tax rates are.

Here at RapidTax, we’ve designed  the 2014 tax tables just for you. In fact, you can save these tax tables to your computer and refer back to the tax rates as needed.

Keep in mind that these tax tables are based on your filing status and total income earned throughout the year. You’ll need to know each in order to find your 2014 tax rate.


How To Report Insurance If Covered Under Parent’s Plan

Posted by Manisha Hansraj on February 4, 2015
Last modified: November 1, 2016

If you’re covered under your parent’s health insurance plan, you won’t face tax penalties when filing your 2014 Taxes 

If you’re in your early twenties and recently entered the “real world”, you know first hand how overwhelming it can be.

Not only do you feel the pressure to succeed in your first job, but you’ve also been slammed with bills you’ve never seen before. From paying student loans to coughing up rent and everything in between, you’ve got a lot on your plate.

Thanks to the Affordable Care Act aka Obamacare, paying for health insurance isn’t yet on your list of concerns. Keep in mind however,  you’ll need to report your insurance coverage on your 2014 Tax Return. RapidTax is here to help!

Who is Eligible for Coverage under Parent’s Plan?

You may be unsure if you qualify to be covered under your parent’s health insurance plan. Here’s what you should know:

  • you can stay on your parent’s health insurance policy until you turn 26 years old
  • if you don’t have insurance, you’ll have to pay a fee for being uninsured when filing your taxes (more…)

Can I Claim the Child Tax Credit 2014?

Posted by Robert Flanagan on January 26, 2015
Last modified: October 6, 2016

If you meet the requirements to claim the Child Tax Credit 2014, expect to see a larger tax refund in 2015

If you have a child, you know first hand that being a parent changes your life.

Along with the new responsibility comes the expenses of having a child, such as food, clothing, classes, pictures, day care and so much more. Luckily, the IRS offers a few tax advantages to help with the never ending costs. One in particular is the Child Tax Credit.

Keep in mind however, just because you have a child, it does not automatically qualify you to claim the Child Tax Credit on your 2014 Taxes.

In order to claim the credit on your 2014 Tax Return, you’ll have to meet the 7 IRS Child Tax Credit requirements

1. Relationship

In order to claim the child tax credit, the child must be one of the following;

  • your child
  • your stepchild
  • a foster child placed with you by a court or authorized agency
  • an adopted child (even if the adoption is not final by the end of the tax year)
  • your brother
  • your sister
  • your stepbrother
  • your stepsister
  • your niece
  • your nephew (more…)

Do I Need To File a 2014 Tax Return?

Posted by Robert Flanagan on January 5, 2015
Last modified: October 6, 2016

Learn if you’re required to file a 2014 Tax Return…

With RapidTax, you have until October 15, 2015 to e-file your 2014 Tax Return.

However, you may be unsure whether or not you need to go to the effort of filing a 2014 Tax Return. You should first know that the requirement to file a federal tax return depends on your;

  • filing status
  • age
  • income
  • dependency status
  • other unique circumstances

Does Your Income Require Your To File a 2014 Tax Return?

If you’re under 65 and you earned the following income (or more), you’re required to file a 2014 Tax Return;

  • Single: $10,150
  • Head of Household: $13,050
  • Married Filing Jointly: $20,300
  • Married Filing Separately: $3,950
  • Qualifying Widow(er): $16,350

If you are 65 or older and you earned the following income (or more), you’re required to file a 2014 Tax Return:

  • Single: $11,700
  • Head of Household: $14,600
  • Married Filing Jointly: $21,500
  • Married Filing Separately: $3,950
  • Qualifying Widow(er): $17,550

If you are being claimed as a dependent and you earned more than $6,100 in 2014, then you’ll need to file a tax return. (more…)